Saturday, May 15, 2010

I arrived about 0910 today in Rolla, Missouri, where Karen (the other intern that I will be working with) and I will complete a weeks worth of basic bird banding training before heading to Fort Leonard Wood to start the summer banding season. I birded around Tanager Trails for several hours before Karen and the IBP biologist arrived, and even though it was raining a good portion of the time, I managed to find 4 Wilsons Warblers, 3 Tennessee Warblers, a female Golden-winged Warbler, a second year male American Redstart, a male Magnolia Warbler, a singing Kentucky Warbler, and one or two Nashville Warblers. I also had both waterthrushes, Ovenbird, Northern Parula, and Yellow-breasted Chat. I also finally got my lifer Olive-sided Flycatcher at Tanager Trails about 1030 this morning!

We only had two nets open for 2 or 3 hours this afternoon, but caught a Wood Thrush, Northern Cardinal, Brown Thrasher, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, and two Acadian Flycatchers.

Our apartment is very nice, situated on a small, wooded mountaintop just off Route 66 in the small town of Devil's Elbow, MO.

1 comment:

  1. You made it to Mizzou! Congratulations! It's great that you got a life bird on the first day of your internship. I hope you have many more this summer. Good luck with that, and with getting internet access!

    ReplyDelete