Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Unfortunately, the weather today was not as good as forecasted- temperatures remained between 50 and 55 degrees and the sun stayed hidden all day. Still birds around, just a bit harder to find. The Magee Boardwalk held some new things this morning- several Indigo Buntings, a couple male Scarlet Tanagers, noticably more Blackburnian and Tennessee Warblers, and lots more Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. However, most migrants were staying high in the trees today and were harder to see and identify. Ottawa NWR held a few shorebirds today- Least, Semi, Pectoral, Spotted, Solitary Sandpipers, both yellowlegs, and many Dunlin. Great close views of Trumpeter Swan along the entrance road. Along Krause Road a second female Yellow-headed Blackbird had joined the single one I found yesterday. I visited Metzger Marsh this afternoon and had a late Ruddy Duck and Lesser Scaup, a scattering of warblers, and seven Black Terns, along with several Common Moorhens, one of which was on a nest. This evening, the swarms of swallows along the Magee Causeway held numerous Trees, Barns, and Banks, along with a healthy number of Purple Martins and a handful of Cliff Swallows. I had three Northern Rough-wingeds earlier in the day, completing a sweep on all possible swallow species. At about 20:45 this evening I made my way to the Black Swamp Bird Observatory to watch the famous woodcock displays- which left me completely in awe. Today's species total: 106. Will add to this post tomorrow when I am not about to fall asleep on the laptop.

1 comment:

  1. Still an excellent day; especially with the swallows and woodcock and a total of 106 species. Ottawa NWR is certainly not to be overlooked in future visits.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete