This morning was fairly exhausting; the nets at "Proffitt's Prairie" are spaced out a good deal farther than the rest of the sites. The entire loop is close to a 1.5 mile cross country hike, taking nearly 40 minutes to make a single round, whereas the other sites take only 15-20. I estimate that I hiked between 7 and 8 miles this morning. I unknowingly found a small coloy of seed ticks three different times, and wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I hit triple digits in today's tick tally. Birdwise, it was fairly active this morning, we ended up with a total of 24 captures.
Bunting, Indigo 1
Chat, Yellow-breasted 3
Goldfinch, American 2
Sparrow, Field 2
Titmouse, Tufted 3
Towhee, Eastern 1
Warbler, Blue-winged 1
Warbler, Kentucky 4
Warbler, Prairie 3
Yellowthroat, Common 4
Also of note were two singing Scarlet Tanagers at the banding station this morning, we had one here on June 9 as well. This is the only banding site where we have detected them so far.
Saturday, June 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Is it correct to interpret that your mist nets (10) are spaced an average of 250 yards apart at Proffitt's Prairie and slightly over 100 yards apart at the other sites? Drainages must be further apart at Proffitt's Prairie. Over 2 mph, over uneven terrain and including stopping to extract birds, is very brisk walking indeed. No need to jog to stay in shape on those afternoons!
ReplyDelete