Thursday, May 27, 2010

Today, Karen and I banded at a bottomland site along the Big Piney River. A productive morning, with 29 birds captured of 14 species. One of the first things I heard upon arrival was the constant buzzy singing of at least three Cerulean Warblers. Kentucky Warblers and American Redstarts were singing almost nonstop for the whole morning. Around mid morning, we were visited by an extremely tame Yellow-throated Warbler who was feeding in the gravel road about 15 feet from where we had the banding operation set up. Normally, these are birds of the treetops, and to see one on the ground at such close range was a real treat. At one point, while I was getting some in-hand photographs of a noisy Yellow-throated Vireo, the warbler near landed on the vireo itself; I guess it was attracted to all the commotion. Today's capture totals are below

Bunting, Indigo 4
Cardinal, Northern 2
Chickadee, Carolina 2
Flycatcher, Acadian 1
Ovenbird 1
Redstart, American 6
Titmouse, Tufted 1
Vireo, Red-eyed 1
Vireo, Yellow-throated 1
Warbler, Blue-winged 2
Warbler, Kentucky 3
Warbler, Worm-eating 1
Waterthrush, Louisiana 1
Woodpecker, Hairy 2

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that you are getting so many of the same birds as we have here. Are you aware of any endangered or threatened birds that you may encounter? I look forward to your blog entries every day.

    ReplyDelete